7611 Maple Avenue #804 Takoma Park,
MD 20912 202-277-3853
- Engaging Voice for Bike Advocacy: Three years writing, marketing, blogging, and advocacy in the cycling industry.
- Innovative, imaginative, and strategic thinker: Fourteen years IT experience including: communications, project management, needs analysis, online strategy, budgeting, implementation, training and support.
- Mission-driven professional: Twelve years building the capacity of nonprofits and NGOs, domestic and international.
- Skilled problem-solver: Eight years supporting and implementing international projects in Africa, Asia, and Europe.
- Effective written and spoken communicator: Native English, conversational French, and fluent West African Creole.
- Represented Bike Shop Hub and Commute by Bike at Interbike (industry trade show), National Bike Summit (advocacy conference), and in media interviews.
- Provided strategic technology consulting to more than 30 small, mid-sized, and large nonprofit organizations, increasing their stability, efficiency, and self sufficiency.
- Reduced technology costs for nonprofits by up to 90% by finding alternative sourcing for IT services.
- Facilitated client teams in defining of requirements and decision making for more than 20 nonprofit technology projects, including networks, Web sites, MIS database systems, and phone systems.
- Budgeted for multiyear technology expenses for community-based nonprofits. This included factors for new implementations, staff growth, technical support, equipment life cycles, and staff technical training.
- Oversaw all technology strategy for the Patricia M. Sitar Center for the Arts as an Outsourced CIO. Initiatives included: a new Web site, an upgraded network, a new phone system, a custom MIS system, and vendor selection. Managed relationships with technology vendors.
- Managed implementation of Web site, networking, and other projects for more than 20 nonprofits.
- Created Requests for Proposals and acted as an honest broker for more than 10 nonprofits seeking vendors for technology projects: evaluated proposals, developed selection criteria, and facilitated interviews.
- Managed the ongoing publication and maintenance of PEOPLink's online catalog, content, and the electronic distribution of the newsletter/magazine Linkages (http://www.tedjohnson.us/resume/peoplink/linkages).
- Coordinated the development of a Web presence for more than ten grassroots marketing NGOs in Africa. These efforts permitted the NGOs to have a virtual presence at the World Bank's Africa Day forum.
- Led a cross-functional team in crafting extensive modifications to an open-source e-commerce program, resulting in increased functionality and a better user experience.
- Developed databases used to coordinate resolution of technical issues between more than 100 American, Chinese, and Russian engineers working on international satellite launches. Automated and reduced reporting time by more than 60%.
- Led an insolvent housing cooperative in Takoma Park, MD, through a transition into a financially healthy condominium, preserving home ownership for 30 low- and middle-income families, and doubling their assessed values within three years.
- Identified and implemented a Web-based case-management software for ten nonprofits, allowing them to manage programs and show outcomes more effectively.
- Rescued seven nonprofit Web sites from dependency on vanished volunteers, unresponsive Webmasters, and amateur design; migrated the sites' content to low cost content management systems. Trained staff to manage the sites without assistance.
- Implemented an electronic Youth AIDS Action newsletter for the Pan American Health Organization: Identified the technology and trained PAHO staff. This improvement simplified the process of sending the newsletter, provided sophisticated tracking of user response, and gave a more professional presentation.
- Designed and delivered on-site Internet technical training to NGOs in Bangladesh, Cameroon, India, Kenya, The Netherlands, Morocco, South Africa, Tanzania, Zimbabwe, and the USA.
- Demonstrate for the World Bank the feasibility of the Souk Virtuel (Virtual Marketplace): a Web site managed by a rural Moroccan NGO for grassroots marketing of traditional rugs (http://www.tedjohnson.us/resume/peoplink/vsouk).
- Guided an African social entrepreneur in developing an Internet telecenter. Enabled the business to provide the first store-and-forward e-mail accounts, and the first local dial-up e-mail in the provinceeven though the country had developed no local Internet access or infrastructure (http://www.bamenda.org).
- Taught basic accounting, bookkeeping, and cost recovery principles to the managers of 11 village-based Cameroonian coffee cooperatives.
- Provided Cameroonian coffee cooperatives direct access to the international robusta coffee market for the first time by determining that existing processing equipment could be reconfigured to grade robusta coffee. This increased profits by eliminating intermediaries.
- Web Authoring: Dreamweaver, HTML, basic PHP, WordPress, Community Enterprise, Convio, and other CMSs
- Productivity: MS Office, MS Project, OpenOffice.org, Google Docs
- Digital Imaging: Fireworks, ThumbsPlus, scanning software, digital cameras, and others
- Operating Systems: Windows, Macintosh, UNIX
Employment History and Education
- Marketing and Communications Director, Bike Shop Hub, Flagstaff, AZ
- Independent Consultant,
Washington, DC (based in AZ & MD) 2004‑2010
- Strategic Technologist,
NPower Greater DC Region (formerly Technology Works for Good), Washington, DC 2001‑2004
- Chief of Web Operations, PEOPLink
Inc., Kensington, Maryland 1997‑2001
- Information Management Specialist
(Database Developer), Motorola Satellite Communications, Chandler,
- Cooperative Technical Advisor,
Peace Corps (USAID PRAMS I Project), Cameroon 1991‑1994
- Manager / Marketing Program Director,
Uni‑Print, Inc., Tempe, Arizona 1986‑1991
- Bachelor of Arts, Political Science, Arizona State University, Tempe,
Minors: Journalism and Biology, with courses in International Affairs
Other Experience and Affiliations
- Board Member, Unit Owners Association of the Takoma Phoenix Condominium
- Director, BAMENDA.ORG: Providing affordable Internet services in Cameroon's North West Province.
- Advisor, Kabissa.org: Empowering African civil society organizations to use Internet communication
technologies effectively for the benefit of their communities.